After holding off an unprecedented assault on the 2A throughout 2013 gun rights supporters should feel proud of their accomplishments. Despite a nearly perfect storm of MSM (aka journolists) coordinated narrative, an emboldened second-term president and a perfect tragedy to exploit public sentiment, the Universal Background Checks Gun Registration scheme stalled in the US Senate.
However it is up to every supporter of the 2A to stay engaged in 2014. Here are a few compelling reasons why:
- Americans have the right to defend themselves. Can you live with yourself knowing that you stood idle when he enemies of Liberty destroyed this disabled man’s right to defend himself from the heartless criminals who tied him up and threw him into his yard while they robbed him?
- Bloomberg’s MAIG and Moms Demand Action Disarmament are ramping up efforts to invest large sums of money into elections and lobbying for anti-gun policy at the state and federal level. The balance of power in Congress is precarious and it will only take a couple votes to pave the way to pass sweeping gun control laws if we are not active participants in the midterm elections. The UBC bill only failed by a few votes and that is well known in the beltway
- Congress plays a part in approving the appointment of Supreme Court Justices. The split on the nations highest court is razor-thin on the 2A and if you think the POTUS won’t nominate a Civilian Disarmament supporter you’re a fool. There is a lot at risk if The Dems and RINOs gain the slightest bit in Congress.
- Losing ground in midterm elections will almost certainly push the Overton Window even farther left and result in extreme gun control policy. The cartoon above is disturbingly accurate (although slightly out of season)
Don’t get me wrong on trashing the Democrats – I’m not a blind supporter of the Republicans either– the last GOP Administration trampled the rights of Americans too. However the Dems are the party of Gun Control and overall they are too bold and extreme with their policies. It’s up to everyone who enjoys their Freedom to be an active participant in the political process. There is too much at stake to be asleep at the wheel in 2014.
Despite having some weaker representation in DC than we would like, supporters of the 2A have had some good results in the legislative arena recently. Mind you this was earned through our hard work to make it known in DC that the 2A is not negotiable. Here are a couple notable legislative wins:
Undetectable Firearms Act extension:
This one flew through Congress in record time. The bottom line is that while this extension of the original ban limits 3-D printing of plastic guns its impact is minimal. Comrade Schumer was very interested in expanding the bill to limit all sorts of firearms parts – including polymer magazines – so there was the potential for some real damage to the 2A. However this idea didn’t go far and the only reason why is the pressure WE put on Congress. They are aware that supporters of the 2A are awake and mobilized. No way would they take a risk right before Midterm election year.
The POTUS will flaunt is as action taken on gun control now as the agitprop spins up and he and his cronies use murdered children as props in their political agenda. But think about it- no significant control legislation survived Congress this year. 2013 was the best chance in decades for significant gun control at the Federal level despite incredibly strong pressure from the White House. We need to pick our spots to focus our pushback and this wasn’t one of those spots.
California AG loses Waiting Period Challenge
This is a significant win for CalGuns- who are fighting infringement in one of the most over-regulated states. This challenge is against California’s 10-day waiting period gun laws for people purchasing firearms.
“The fact that a federal judge saw these laws for what they are — baseless restraints on the exercise of a fundamental civil right — is monumental,” explained Gene Hoffman, Chairman of The Calguns Foundation. “California’s waiting period laws for those who own guns is not Constitutional and this order really underlines the point.”
Any time a gun control law is ruled unconstitutional it helps the 2A. However we all need to remember that overturning law is a long and difficult road. We are always better off preventing bad legislation from becoming law. We have to remain vocal and vigilant because the enemies of Liberty Progressives are working around the clock to destroy our freedom. IOW:
- Stay informed on legislation in your state and at the federal level
- Vote in every election- and know your candidates
- Press your like-minded friends and neighbors to vote– every vote counts because the nation is nearly split at 50% each way
- Be vocal- emails, calls and letters to your elected officials have never been more important
There has been lots of reporting on the closure of the Doe Run primary lead smelter in MO this week. Plenty of hysterical ravings about an impending ammunition shortage in 2014 and general doomsday predictions that all bullet material will have to be exported for processing and reimported. That’s not true- as noted by Emily Miller and Bob Owens.
However there is a real threat to the production of bullet material in the US- and its part of the Obama Administratration’s War on the 2A. I have a couple friends who work in the lead industry who help supply ammunition manufacturers. Lately their insight into ammunition rumors has been pretty useful. With that as a backdrop here are a few ongoing attacks on ammo manufacturers that the MSM overlooks in its reporting:
- The EPA has been at war against lead for several administrations and the Obama Administration has finally imposed regulations on a major producer of domestic ammunition that will limit their ability to manufacture lead bullets (I promised not to name them but its a name everyone would recognize). With strong White House backing the EPA went full press on this company and they had to cease in-house projectile manufacturing and switched to buying up processed material at a much greater expense
- Executives at that well-known ammo manufacturer have expressed concerns that they were only the first name on a White House ‘hit list’ and that the EPA will be expanding these attacks to the rest of the ammuntion producers as quickly as it can
- The EPA has not levied any new or heavy handed regulations on the battery manufacturing industry – which is interesting because battery manufacturing employs about 24,000 people while the ammunition manufacturing industry employs nearly 45,000 people. Way to look out for the economy, Washington!
Once lead processing for bullets is limited and eventually regulated out of existance with selective enforcement of EPA and state-level regulations (like CA where lead projectiles are banned) what are our options? Well steel and copper come to mind. Both are classified in many cases as ‘armor piercing’ projectiles and subsequently outlawed in as many places as Progressives can get laws passed. Is it clear where this road leads? It’s more sneaky gun control, nothing more.
There is only one way to derail this train – be an active and informed voter. Drag EVERYONE you can with you to the polls (so long as they agree on our candidates). Stay vocal to your Congressional and State reps- let them know how angry you are that businesses are being regulated out of existance at a time where the economy desperately needs support.
Bonus lead industry rumor: all the major manufacturers are planning to bring new rimfire lines up in the coming months — that means .22 ammo should enjoy a resurgence very soon. Provided the manufacturers can keep the cost of projectiles down.
Fascinating headlines on the Civilian Disarmament front this week:
First and foremost remember that this call for ‘background checks
‘ is really a bill designed to strip law-abiding American citizen of their natural right to defend themselves. Now consider a few facts:
That all adds up to slim chances for gun control success in Congress and a low likelihood of passing something late at the 11th hour like the Affordable Care Act or New york’s unconstitutional SAFE Act. Watch this space for updates- if an anti-2A bill gets momentum on Capitol Hill you can find out here.
Open Carry has been a hot topic lately – from the Starbucks watery “policy change” to the grossly over-exaggerated interaction between all 4 members of Moms Demand Action and a Texas-based Open Carry Advocacy group in Arlington. Its a tricky subject to tackle – I realized this while reading a thought-provoking article – here are a few salient excerpts:
[regarding gun bans like those that infringe on Chicago, California, Washington DC, etc] However government justified those laws, I can tell you one thing for certain: they did not enact those laws as a response to citizens openly carrying firearms. Were people parading around Chicago with openly carried handguns? Around Washington D.C. with openly carried and operable firearms? Around the nation with openly carried “assault riles”? Around schools with openly carried firearms? Obviously not. The government entities who passed laws that criminalize ownership and possession of firearms passed those laws because they want to disarm citizens, period...
Regardless of the legislative/legal history of criminalizing ownership and possession of firearms, let’s look at this in a simple and pragmatic way. What good is a “right” if we cannot exercise the right for fear that we will “lose” the right? Does that not mean the right is already lost?
The logical paradox should be obvious and yet no one seems to see it. What kind of strategy is this? Are we hoping to save the right to carry openly until we really “need” it, only to be banned then? Don’t think for a second that government or anyone else will be content with banning open carry.
I wholeheartedly and passionately support the right for Americans to defend themselves. This includes the natural rights not granted by but preserved by The 2A for all law-abiding American citizens. However this passion and proud display of these rights is being used to hurt the RKBA.
In today’s political and social environment the War on the 2A is being waged by expanding on and exploiting disinformation and the fears of the low-information, often hoplophobic general public. These are people who don’t know much about firearms, have never fired a gun and could fall either Pro or Anti 2A depending on the experiences they have- whether in person or more commonly through mass media. This segment of America is the group that could have the greatest impact on the RKBA – because they are the ones who will affect future elections and to some degree the actions of politicians holding office. So how is disinformation being used to manipulate that group against the 2A?
- Unbiased journalism has given way to Journolism – you can see these coordinated behaviors persist in breaking news reports all the time. The mainstream media is parroting civilian disarmament rhetoric every time there is an opportunity
- Hollywood has not done the 2A any favors -thanks to misrepresentation of firearms in the movies many people believe that a firearm with a standard capacity magazine can fire endlessly, blow up cars, and so on
- A more recent phenomenon is the Astroturfing– fake grassroots organizations who work at cultivating public sentiment for a cause on behalf of corporations or politicians. Enter Shannon Watts, founder of Moms Demand Action
Now that you know all of that take a look at the photo at the top of this post. Watts orchestrated the photo outside her pathetic 4-member MDA meeting and then used her media contacts to manufacture a story that she could manipulate into excessive mainstream media coverage. All with a goal of portraying open carry advocates and every other gun owner in America as a misogynistic bullies who thrive on intimidating those who disagree with them.
The problem is that it is up to every single American gun owner to carefully think through their actions and especially interactions with others. People like Shannon Watts get endless free media coverage – and like it or not the public is exposed to those sound bytes and headlines.
The circumstances in America that led to this point suck. But we can’t change that immediately. I’m not saying that you need to hide your beliefs or even refrain from open carry. However it’s easy to scare uneducated people – and one even mildly bad experience with an open carrier can turn a voter against the 2A for life. As for myself I plan to refrain from open carry and work on taking noobs to the range to convert them into 2A fans for life.
Earlier this year the gun control civilian disarmament movement won big at the state level in Colorado, New York and strengthened its stranglehold on California. They also lost big at the federal level with Universal Background Checks Gun Registration. But the POTUS swore to return with new energy and to get gun owners’ little dogs too.
Despite the best efforts of the Journolists, public support for expanded gun control is back to pre-Newtown levels – about 48%. So what is the Progressive Machine doing to press the agenda forward?
Officials from the White House Office of Public Engagement, which reports to senior Obama aide Valerie Jarrett, are now carrying the administration’s gun control efforts. OPE officials hold a regular meeting with the major gun control groups known as the Gun Violence Table…
The weekly sessions often include OPE Director Paulette Aniskoff or official Paul Monteiro along with representatives from Mayors Against Illegal Guns, the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, Moms Demand Action, the Center for American Progress, Organizing for Action and Americans for Responsible Solutions.
Wow- talk about the forces of evil roundtable – let’s run down the scandals staining the character of some of these enemies of Liberty:
And of course these amazing humanitarians wouldn’t let a chance to dance in the blood of victims go to waste:
The groups are coordinating a November lobbying effort and planning events to commemorate the first anniversary of the Newtown, Conn., massacre last December.
This effort is part of a long term strategy to keep giving these ‘community’ organizers press time to help fan the flames of a grassroots movement to drive gun control back onto the Congressional agenda. How sneaky is it to coordinate the lobbyists in weekly sponsored meetings at the White House and then turn them loose for preferential media coverage?
It’s all with a goal of convincing the low-information voters to rally in support of expanded gun control. The split is so close right now (nearly 50-50) that they could turn the tide without a lot of effort. The mainstream media (MSM) has all their speaking points ready to roll and gleefully reports them every chance they get. This isn’t about debating the Antis- it’s about recruiting that 2-3% of Americans to support their cause. Most people don’t know that gun violence is down 49% since 1993 – even including recent high-profile mass shootings. Most people are to aware that gun crimes have all steadily trended down as firearms ownership has increased among law-abiding citizens in the US (refer to the infographic above). Sadly the MSM won’t let that cross the eyes or hears of the public.
We can stop them though- here are 3 ways each and every one of us can help:
- Vote in every election. Make sure you do it and you know which candidates support your issues ( preserving the 2A for example).
- Make sure your like-minded friends and relatives also vote. Talk to them about the elections and make sure they know which candidates are supporting your issues.
- Be an ambassador for the 2A: take someone shooting for the first time. Show them how enjoyable shooting can be. Don’t talk politics or gun control – just enjoy some range time. Don’t do things to intimidate people who don’t understand firearms ownership. The deck is stacked against gun owners because the media is always demonizing them. Prove them wrong and this can make a difference too.
Lately there has been some discussion across the interwebs on how to build up a pragmatic modern firearms collection. Utility and reliability across a broad range of applications and scenarios ranging from EDC (every-day carry) to WROL (without rule of law) are the criteria for the kR-15 edition of this list. At the top of the list is a pistol:
1. Glock compact frame pistol : Gen 4 19 or 23 (retails for about $600)
Two popular options from Glock are the 19 and 23. Which one depends on your preferred pistol caliber 9mm or .40 s&w. It’s important to make a choice on caliber and stick with it- this will help you optimize any accessories you end up with and especially your ammo. More on this in the next installment.
Glock has done a magnificent job of crafting concealable pistols that can be handled with nearly the same level of accuracy and reliability as full size models. They are a tried and true performer trusted in the line of duty by countless law enforcement and military organizations around the world. Here are a few more reasons I recommend this choice of pistol:
- Standard capacity mags: 13 or 15 round standard capacity plus these models support mags from their full size counterparts (15 rounds for .40, 17 rounds for 9mm). This is important because having enough ammo to defend yourself and your loved ones could make the difference between winning or losing a life threatening situation. Remember that under stress your performance declines-
- Generation 4 Glocks come with 3 mags from the factory. When it comes to critical contingency accessories like extra mags remember that 2 is 1 and 1 is none, so having 3 total means you have a reliable backup for the one in your pistol. Best practice is to use the factory mags as your carry mags and to purchase some designated practice mags for the range and practice (cheaper $10 knockoff mags are great for dropping on concrete while practicing).
- The widespread popularity of Glock means that parts and accessories are abundant in the US. Being able to locate extra mags, holsters, spare parts and even ammo are important considerations if you want to be prepared for a wide range of situations. Most of the time this also means that you can find parts and accessories for a lower price. Ask anyone who owns an HK P30 how easy to is to find mags if you don’t believe me.
- Reliability is another factor that to a point even nullifies the need for spare parts. Glock pistols don’t require much lubrication and have an excellent reputation for running and running after every conceivable torture test- even the rediculous ones. MattV2099 even baked his Glock into a cake, ran a brush through the bore and had the gun firing.
- Ease of use. Another factor behind is endorsement of the Glock platform is the ergonomics and simplicity of the platform. It’s a comfortable gun to shoot and has simple controls. There are two schools of thought on this: many people think a mechanical safety must be present (which Glocks do not feature) and the other mindset is that proper holsters and handling are sufficient. The second mindset is the one I prescribe to – everyone in my home knows and follows the rules for safe handling of firearms and a mechanical safety is one more thing to forget or fumble with in a defensive situation where seconds count.
MCN responds to the recent Civilian Disarmament meme to make the rounds through the Journolist : the notion that any part of The Bill of Rights is outdated.
Speaking of the Journolist, let's dispel another lie they continue to perpetuate:
According to the Pew Research Center, gun violence continues to plummet. Gun violence is down 49% since 1993 yet the public is unaware.
Armed Defender Academy offers some pragmatic content on a very consistent basis. I think this video states a message that a large number of law-abiding citizens agree with.
That's a solid, no nonsense daily carry too. Even the light doesn't bother me… You see law-abiding citizens in a free nation should have the right to kit up however they see fit. Take just a moment today and tell someone you trust what the 2A means to you.
MAC does a tremendous job advising 2A supporters on how to handle the Starbucks “gun policy change” you know, the one they made public and also instructed employees to NOT enforce.
Once again I ask all supporters of the 2A to work very hard at thinking about how their actions are viewed by others. The enemies of Liberty are working very hard to convince the public that all gun owners are nut jobs that should not be trusted with firearms. Provoking the public only plays into that MSM narrative- so what does it accomplish?