A criminal wants one or more of three things: your property, your body or your life. Being careless with any of these things will make you a more attractive target to criminals- aka a soft target. The holiday shopping has the potential to overwhelm anyone, but there are things we can all keep in mind to make ourselves hard targets to avoid becoming a victim. Make sure you don’t just read this but also remind your loved ones about these simple tips.
From a recent Edwards AFB memo:
- Keep your doors and windows locked (both car and home)
- Before you leave the safety of your vehicle survey the parking lot- is something suspicious? Trust your instincts- if something doesn’t look or feel right it probably isn’t– avoid it.
- Park in well-lit areas: criminals prefer darkness to conceal their activities
- Stay off your cell phone while walking to and from your vehicle- stay aware of your surroundings
- Only carry the minimum amount of cash and credit cards you need for shopping
- Handle your money discreetly- don’t make it easy for anyone to see your money when paying for something
- Don’t overload yourself with packages and bags– this can both distract you and inhibit your ability to react. Both make your softer target